ct property damage per year. So be sure you are taking measures to avoid fires this season.
Here are a few fire Safety tips:
- Don’t use real candles as part of decorations and remember to always exercise basic safety when using candles throughout the home.
- Never leave a lighted Christmas tree or other decorative lighting display unattended. Inspect lights for exposed or frayed wires, loose connections, and broken sockets. Do not overload extension cords or outlets and do not place an electrical cord under a rug.
- Natural cut Christmas trees always involve some risk of fire. To minimize the risk, get a fresh tree and keep it watered at all times. Do not put the tree within three feet of a fireplace, space heater, radiator or heat vent.
- Do not burn Christmas tree branches, treated wood, or wrapping paper in a home fireplace.
- Declare the kitchen off limits to children and those adults not assisting with food preparation. A crowded kitchen can increase the danger of spills and burns.
- Be prepared to deal with cooking fires. Remember to never put water on a grease fire.